Chief Master Sergeant JoAnne S. Bass is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, Second Air Force, Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi. Chief Bass is the senior enlisted leader and advisor to the commander on all matters impacting the professional development, proper utilization, and the readiness of the enlisted corps. The command consists of 4 training wings, 18 groups with 76 operating locations worldwide, in support of 13,000 enlisted, officers, civilians, contractors and 36,000 basic military trainees per year. In addition, Second Air Force is home to more than 260 Air Force specialties through 2,300 courses graduating 150,000 Airmen, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and international students annually in various fields including financial management, security forces, cyber, personnel, weather, civil engineer, and aircraft maintenance, while providing 93 percent of the Air Force’s initial skills training.
Chief Bass was raised as an Army dependent, living in several overseas and stateside locations, prior to entering the Air Force in 1993. Throughout her career, she has held a variety of leadership positions serving at the squadron, group, wing and major command levels. She has significant joint service and special operations experience and has participated in several operations and exercises as well as deployments in direct support of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM. Prior to this assignment, Chief Bass served as the Chief, Air Force Enlisted Developmental Education, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
1997 Airman Leadership School, Pope Air Force Base (AFB), N.C.
2000 Associate Degree, Airport Resource Management, Community College of the Air Force
2004 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
2005 Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2006 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Course 12, by distance learning
2007 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education, by distance learning
2009 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air Mobility Command Leadership Challenge Program, Ramstein Air Base (AB), Germany
2013 Chief Master Sergeant Leadership Seminar, Ramstein AB, Germany
2015 AFSO21 Executive Leadership Seminar, University of Tennessee, Nashville
2015 USAF Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2016 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education II, by distance learning
2017 Keystone Command Senior Enlisted Leader Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C.
2018 Leading Strategically, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Spring, Colo.
2018 Coaching for Greater Effectiveness, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
1. June 1993-June 1996, Operations System Management Journeyman, 74th Fighter Squadron, Pope Air Force Base (AFB), N.C.
2. June 1996-July 1998, Range Scheduling Specialist, 43rd Operations Support Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
3. July 1998-November 2000, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Current Operations Scheduler, 24th Special Tactics Squadron, Fort Bragg, N.C.
4. November 2000-March 2001, Current Operations Scheduler, 86th Operations Support Squadron, Ramstein Air Base (AB), Germany
5. March 2001-January 2004, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Special Airlift Operations, Air Mobility Operations Control Center, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. January 2004-November 2005, Noncommissioned Officer in Charge, Host Aviation Resource Management, 86th Operations Support Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
7. November 2005-August 2010, Superintendent, Host Aviation Resource Management, Group Career Field Functional Manager, (Data Masked)
8. August 2010–September 2012, Superintendent, Host Aviation Resource Management and Superintendent, 86th Operations Support Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. September 2012–May 2015, Superintendent, 86th Operations Group, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. May 2015–September 2016, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
11. September 2016–July 2018, Chief, Air Force Enlisted Developmental Education, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2018–Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, Second Air Force, Keesler AFB, Miss.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
1995 Airman of the Year, 74th Fighter Squadron
1997 John L. Levitow Award, Airman Leadership School
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2009 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2010 USAFE Senior Noncommissioned Officer Aviation Resource Manager of the Year
2011 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 86th Operations Group
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTIONS
Chief Master Sergeant August 1, 2013
(Current as of July 2018)